Monday, June 9, 2014

Korean War Memorial

The faces of soldiers etched into the walls, and the statues of the soldiers made me grateful that I don't have to experience this terror, and it also portrayed the solemn theme of death and how war affects countries as a whole. Etchings in the walls of soldiers faces were reflective for a reason- this reason being that while you view scared, injured soldiers, you also see yourself, and how lucky you are to be there. It makes you appreciate your life from a different perspective. Also, the statues of soldiers stirred an emotional reaction inside of me- I felt sick because of how scared and innocent they seemed. Their faces appeared to be terrified, and it was men that were a little older than my own father, and I couldn't bear to think about that situation if my father was in it. The bodies of the soldiers were hunched over, creating the message that they were weak and not prepared for war. My great uncle fought in this war as a pilot who was unexperienced, and he died during one of his last missions. As I made my way through this memorial, I could only picture my great uncle dying and others just like him dying in more brutal ways. The body position of soldiers, their faces, and the faces etched into the reflective walls all created a solemn tone in this monument, and painted vivid pictures in my mind of the war and how gruesome it must have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment